How Breast Fat Transfer Works
Unlike old fashioned breast lift or augmentation, breast fat transfer uses fat liposuctioned from other areas of your body to augment the breast. The fat is removed using gentle liposuction, and is then processed to remove excess fluids and retain only the quality fat particles that can be transplanted into the breast. We use the Revolve system which is the latest generation of fat collection processing system designed for fat transplanting. The fat is then injected into the breasts using specialized canulas and a few small micro-incisions that are virtually invisible once healed. Both of these procedures are performed in the same day, and takes approximately 3-4 hours.In some cases, the BRAVA Protocol is used by patients prior to breast fat grafting. BRAVA is a soft, gel-like bra that externally expands breast tissue. Consisting of two semi-rigid domes with silicone-gel rims, a SmartBox, and a sports bra that helps keep the device in place. BRAVA is worn for a few weeks, 10 to 12 hours a day, to help expand the breast tissue and create a recipient lattice for the fat graft prior to the grafting procedure.
About Breast Fat Grafting: Natural Breast Augmentation without Implants
- The ideal candidate is a woman who wants a subtle increase in size and absolutely does not want a breast implant.
- You must have adequate fat in other areas of the body to be harvested and transferred to the breast.
- You must be able to maintain adequate body fat percentage.
- You must have relatively tight or elastic skin tone of the breast
- You are interested in a relatively small increase in size (roughly half a cup size) or interested in gaining fullness only in selected areas of the breast.
Benefits of Breast Fat Transfer
- Unlike Silicone or Saline implants, the fat is a completely natural substance coming from your own body. Nothing foreign or artificial is added.
- Harvesting of the fat using liposuction can help recontour or enhance your shape
- The breast can be sculpted and shaped in more unique ways to only enhance the areas desired rather than the entire breast
- The minimal incisions eliminate the chance of scarring and quicken recovery time
- Avoid risks associated with implants (rupture, leaks, shifting) and avoid having to perform MRI’s to check for any leaks in a silicone implant
- Can provide a subtle augmentation rather than going up several sizes
Typical Recovery Time After Breast Fat Transfer
Recovery time can vary depending on how many areas are used for fat donor sites. Like typical liposuction, these areas may be swollen, bruised, and uncomfortable for several days. Your breasts will experience some swelling and busing, but little pain. Most patients return to work in a few days (for small cases) or up 2 weeks (if more extensive liposuction is performed). You may begin your regular exercise routine in 10-14 days or as soon as your body has healed from the liposuction. Bruising and swelling can last up to three weeks, but all swelling should be gone in 4-6 months.